Important to know:
• In March 2011, Patrick Wightman, dressed as a banana, became the world record holder for the fastest marathon ever run by a competitor dressed as a fruit in 2 hours, 58 minutes and 20 seconds at the Barcelona Marathon
• Ripe bananas glow bright indigo under ultraviolet light.
• If you peel a banana from the bottom up you won’t get those stringy bits – which, incidentally are called phloem and transport nutrients into the fruit.
• Eating bananas can improve your mood – they’re the only fruit (strictly, they’re a berry, but let’s not go there) that contains the amino acid tryptophan and vitamin B6, which help our bodies produce seratonin. Seratonin is a natural chemical that alleviates depression – they put it in Prozac.
• The weight of our bananas varies between 150g and 200g.